Sunday, June 19, 2011

Faux Iron Wall Art


  So this is what I have been working on... on and off for a couple months now.  I love the way cast iron art looks. Rustic but sophisticated at the same time.


Supplies needed:


*Toilet Paper & Paper Towel Rolls (I used between 15 and 20)
*Hot Glue Gun
*Paintbrush (for wrapping the end of the cardboard strips around)
*Scissors
*Ruler
*Paint of Choice
*Magazine

The most time consuming part was the collection of the toilet paper rolls. 


For the frame I used magazine pages rolled up very tightly. I then took my X-acto knife and cut the end at a 45 degree angle so when glued together it would be in a square form. I'm sure that using a dowel from a craft store would work just as well or better.

 When that is all done and you have your frame you can begin cutting the rolls into strips.  I used strips that were 1centimeter in width but depending on your frame you could make them thicker or thinner. Wrap the ends of the strips around the end of your paintbrush to create the tightness of curl you desire, set in place within your frame and secure with the hot glue. When you are satisfied with your frame and the glue is dry you are ready to paint!












2 comments:

  1. SO many pictures and posts!! But I love every one. You are so crafty and you think of the coolest things to do. Like the shower curtain? I would never have thought to do anything like that. P.S It was refreshing to see pics of you. I miss you! -Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! It's too bad we don't live closer or we would totally craft together. I'm starting to do more cooking lately too :) I'm glad you liked the pics :) I will try and have more pics of Rob and I in the future. Miss you too sis! <3

    ReplyDelete