Wednesday, May 25, 2011

DIY Lamp

Mr. Creole and I tend to eat a pretty healthy amount of oatmeal these days (mmm fiber) and I have been saving the containers for a project. It took me a good three months to finally find something to do with them that wasn't going to look like a 3 yr old did it. These are the supplies I acquired for my project:


*Elmers Glue
*Glue Gun
*Jute
*Coffee Filters









 The first thing I tried was painting the container a dark-ish brown to cover the logo then glue the jute to it. I have to admit that it turned out to be an utter failure. I forgot to take pictures but it looked quite the mess. So I tore off all of the jute and started over. I glued a couple layers of  flattened coffee filters to the container. 

Then I added the jute. It looked MUCH better.
 After that was done I punched a hole in the bottom part of the container with scissors and put my new "lamp shade" on the top.


Eventually, I will put something like sand in the bottle and will wire it to actually be a working lamp. For now, it sits in my dining area with the sole purpose of looking nice.



 Which, if you ask me, is needing a bit more help in the decorating aspect. The mismatching wood of the dining set and my "hutch" really don't help set a theme. :) I am thinking about painting them but am unsure of what colors to go with. I know that the finish will be "distressed" to give it some character but I will have to give it some more thought I think. Plus, that huge open space above the "hutch" is... well... HUGE... and BARE. I have been wanting a really big mirror to go there but haven't been able to go thrifting yet... sigh.

2 comments:

  1. My sister, the crafty one!! Jonathan and I like the color of your table and hutch as they are. All wood matches to us. But I guess sometimes I wear mismatched socks so I don't know if my opinion counts. lol -britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. lol I'm glad you guys like it :) I think I have a tendency to "look" for projects even when they look fine ha ha ha

    ReplyDelete