Wednesday, April 6, 2011

DIY Hanging Wall Pockets

Wall Pockets 

So this is where I got the idea for the wall pockets. The originals are about $80 if you were to buy them off the internet... and obviously, I am not going to spend money on something like that at the drop of the hat.  So, I thought I would do something with the time I have while Mr. Creole works over 10 hours a day lol

I had cardboard from our move so it was nice that I didn't have to buy any of that.  However, because I am just beginning my crafting journey I didn't have hardly anything "on hand" like fabric or spray adhesive or even glue sticks for my glue gun.  So for everything I spent around $15 for the fabric and other things. It will be nice when I am able to buy things on sale just because they are on sale and then look for opportunities to use it.

The project took me about 2 days to finish.  Long hours sitting on the floor gluing and cutting (I used a pocket knife since I don't have an x-acto knife) but I got it done!

I also don't have a label punch like she did. So I will have to make something to break up how black it is.  Maybe make some fabric flowers or something to paste to the pockets.

This is what the finished product looked like

Cute pug
You can only tell its not wood when you get up close.





















This is it hung up by the front door.  

The cute FAMILY sign I found at Hobby Lobby in the clearance section for $2! Woohoo for thriftiness!!

I love the way it turned out :)

I chose to hang it differently than they did.

Mr. Creole was really impressed when he saw what it was I was working on... I think I am surprising him with my domestic abilities ha ha! (I think he is discovering my true identity... SUPERWOMAN!!!) He is always commenting on my cooking and crafting :) He makes me feel like superwoman.

I can see myself making more of these in the future for other rooms. It would be fun to do some in patterned printed fabric for future babies rooms or the future office/library/music room. I really wanna get one of those things that cut out letters for just about any surface ( I have no idea what it is called... silhouette??). I would love to do a decal for the top or even a quote. 






2 comments:

  1. You cut it all out with a pocket knife? lol you are a determined crafting fiend! Don't you love being a crafty nifty thrifty superwoman wife? those are some cute pics and I love the one with your pug in it.
    Britt

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha ha yeah I did! I tried using scissors but the knife worked better. I LOVE being superwoman wife!! More of the pug and the husband to come in a few minutes!!

    ReplyDelete