Friday, July 8, 2011

Friday Failure - Pug Cake

Well as most of you know yesterday was Mr. Creoles birthday. As such, I wanted to do something fun and meaningful. Both of us are major pug lovers ( we have ourselves an adorable brindle pug and wish we could have more ) so in addition to making dinner I thought I would make a pug cake.


Since there is just the two of us to eat a cake I decided to make it quite a bit smaller than the ones in the pictures. I started out with a sheet cake and did some stacking and carving. This is what it looked like when it was ready to be covered in fondant.


Now this is where the failure begins. I wanted to try my hand at making fondant myself but because it was 3 in the morning and I had limited supplies I had to try my hand at this recipe. I followed the recipe exactly and it ended up looking great... til I went to roll it out.





Turns out this fondant will stick to anything and everything including itself.  It dried way too quickly to be of any use and ended up looking like this mess. I couldn't even manage to get the fondant on the cake in one piece.



So after I ended up tearing all the pieces off of the cake in frustration this is what was left of my cake.
Sad day.



After realizing that my pug idea was not going to be a success I racked my brain for alternative solutions and came up with this.


I took the cake, broke it up into pieces and set them aside.


Then I took some strawberries I had in the fridge and sliced about 2 cups worth. Put them in a sauce pan with about 1/4 cup sugar and brought to a boil.


I boiled the strawberries for 10-15 minutes to create some thickness. Removed from heat and let it cool.


I then took my cake crumbs and spooned some into a glass. Then a few spoonfuls of strawberries.


Then add a couple scoops of cool whip. Repeat.


Mmmm! Victory at last!!

2 comments:

  1. Yay for victory!! Happy bday bro! The strawberry cups look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was one sad looking pug....but I could go for the strawberry cake cup!

    ReplyDelete